School Sports Apprentice
Published: Jun 27, 2019
Stoke Damerel are looking to appoint a PE apprentice to support the running of our sports and healthy schools programme across the school.
The Apprentice’s Role
We are looking for someone with a strong commitment to developing the positive, well-being and character of children who will work collaboratively as part of a team of staff. Good communication skills are essential and a willingness to adapt activities to suit the needs of the children will be important. Experience of supporting children with a range of needs would be desirable. A passion for sport and a healthy lifestyle is essential and coaching qualifications would be desirable.
To support teaching and learning throughout the school.
Stoke Damerel requires an enthusiastic and talented person to join our high achieving school. A passion for developing sport and healthy living at an early age is essential.
This role is based in the Stoke area of Plymouth.
The following is an outline of the range of duties that can be expected of a PE Apprentice.
• Work with and under the supervision of qualified teachers.
• Help facilitate the learning process.
• Be responsible for supporting the learning of manageable groups or individual children.
• Be involved in the planning and preparation process of the work undertaken by the children.
• Feed back to the teacher responsible, information relating to the work undertaken in supporting learning.
• Assist with the development, maintenance and the use of resources.
• Assist with the development of the learning environment.
• Assist in the monitoring and assessment of children’s learning and / or behaviour, liaising with parents and outside agencies when required.
• Attend to children’s general welfare and personal needs, as determined by school policies and procedures.
• Assist in the supervision of children and the application of basic first aid during the morning break.
• Participate in training which is supportive of the role.
• Keep abreast of school developments. To support classes with the delivery of PE
• Develop a sporting programme at lunchtimes, run some structured play/games.
• Maintain the sports equipment and set up for lessons.
• Assist in after school clubs including set up.
• Attend and assist in sporting events
Working Hours: 27.5 hours apprenticeship per week, plus 10 hours cover per week, ranging between the hours of 8am-4.30pm Monday to Friday.
Wages: £105.00 per week, based on a 27.5 hour week, with the additional 10 hours the wage works out as £146.25 a week. Any overtime above the 40 hours per week, will be paid at the appropriate national minimum wage depending on age.
Holiday: 28 days holiday entitlement (including bank holidays) will be paid each year, during the course of your apprenticeship.
Contact Details: If you have any queries please contact us on either this email address email@example.com or call us on 01752 332442.
The employer is a vibrant and forward-thinking community of teachers and learners. The school appreciates the individuality and unique strengths and talents of each student and encourages everyone to invest in their education. The school take great pride in the fact that more and more of their students enjoy success in every possible way and at every level.
The school has a range of impressive sports facilities including a sports hall and astroturf pitch, both of which can be used for a range of different sports including football, basketball, hockey, badminton and netball. Additionally, there is a dance studio with a full mirrored wall and two multi-use gyms, which can be used for sports such as Judo. Furthermore, the site has five tennis courts to support the outstanding provision of sport available across the school.
Should any future vacancies occur, then the right candidate would be considered for the role.
Good Numeracy and Literacy standards need to be demonstrated and a real interest in working with children.
Team player, patience, punctuality, confidentiality and reliability is essential. A strong work ethic will need to be demonstrated.
Maths and English 4-9 (A*-C) is essential.
The Apprenticeship in Physical Education and School Sport includes:
◾Level 3 NVQ Certificate in Activity Leadership (QCF)
◾Level 3 Certificate in Supporting Learning in Physical Education and School Sport (QCF)
◾Functional Skills in Maths and English (Level 1)
◾Employment Rights and Responsibilities
◾Emergency First Aid
◾Certified Health and Safety Course
◾Internet Safety / Safeguarding
Most aspects of your training will be delivered on-site by the employer at your workplace, and you will have regular visits every six to eight weeks by your designated assessor from Skills Group, who will monitor your progress throughout your apprenticeship programme. Additional NGB and CPD courses may be provided as part of your professional development within the role.
Teaching Assistant Apprentice x2
Teaching Assistant Apprentice - within the Music Department
School Sports Apprentice
School Sports Apprentice