Teaching Assistant Apprentice x2
Published: Sep 03, 2019
This is an excellent opportunity for two apprentices to work under the instruction/guidance of teaching/ HLTA staff to undertake work/care/support programmes to enable access to learning for pupils based in the Ernesettle area.
The Apprentice’s Role
The role involves: lifting; bending; bending at knees; sitting on the floor; stretching and sustained physical effort to support pupils. The post holder will also be required to prepare the classroom for lessons, clear away afterwards and produce displays of pupils work. Manual handling of pupils for positioning and toileting is a major requirement.
Post holder will be required to concentrate for most of the morning or afternoon whilst observing and assisting the pupils during lessons. They will also be expected to support pupils in water-based activities.
There may be occasional emotional stress experienced through exposure to difficult child protection/welfare issues which may cause the child to become angry or upset.
• Provide specialist support for pupils, including those with special needs, ensuring their safety and appropriate access to learning activities
• Assist the teacher in the management of pupils and the management of the learning environment in the classroom
• Assist the teacher / HLTA with the planning of learning activities
• Assist with the development and implementation of Individual Education/Behaviour Plans and Personal Care programmes
• Undertake pupils record keeping which will include recording pupils responses to learning activities
• Promote pupils’ self-esteem and independence skills and work closely with other colleagues in the classroom to deliver personalised learning plans
• Promote positive pupil behaviour, deal promptly with conflicts and incidents in line with established policy and encourage pupils to take responsibility for their own behaviour
• Provide assistance with pupil first aid and welfare issues e.g. look after sick pupils and undertake some routine medical support under the direction and supervision of nursing staff
• May be required to demonstrate own role tasks to new starters or less experienced members of staff
• May be required to assist in the handling of small amounts of money related to various school events, which are then handed over to school office staff for processing
• Undertake other duties appropriate to the grade of the post
Working Hours: 30-40hours per week, ranging between the hours of 8am-4.30pm Monday to Friday. Specific shifts will be negotiated with the school.
Wages: £156.00 per week, based on a 40 hour week. Any additional hours worked over 40 hours per week will be paid at the National Minimum Wage depending on age.
Holiday: 28 days holiday entitlement (including bank holidays) will be paid each year, during the course of your apprenticeship.
Contact Details: If you have any queries please contact us on either this email address firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 01752 332442.
Mill Ford is a school with specialism in meeting the needs of children and young adults with complex needs, including severe and profound and multiple learning difficulties, complex medical needs and autistic spectrum conditions. As a Headteacher I am immensely proud to be leading an amazing team for whom our children and young people are the centre and reason for all we do.
Mill Ford is a friendly, child-centered school where staff work tirelessly to provide each child and young person with an individual and exciting curriculum that builds on strengths and nurtures a love of learning. We place a strong emphasis on ensuring our pupils aspire to be the best they can, are able to contribute to society, develop their communication and social skills, enjoy learning and have a strong sense of self. We ensure pupils can achieve these things independently in a nurturing environment, where they feel able to take risks.
Safeguarding children and young people is paramount in all we do, so that children and young people can learn and thrive in a safe environment.
This employer encourages the learners to progress that maybe in the school if they can accommodate or by providing a reference for other positions in other schools/ institutions.
The successful candidate will be required to use interpretation skills in order to solve straightforward problems, will be advising and guiding the pupils on a daily basis. Effective written and oral communication skills are required to liaise with pupils, other staff, parents and outside agencies and professionals. Keyboarding skills required to support the use of computers in learning activities. Post holder will be required to operate office equipment e.g. photocopier
The successful candidate will need to be a team player, patience, punctuality, confidentiality and reliability is essential. A strong work ethic will need to be demonstrated and a good sense of humour will help.
Maths and English A-C grade are required. Full training will be provided, an organised and mature nature are essential and to present a professional image. Knowledge of First Aid Numeracy & Literacy skills would be a bonus but is not necessary and full training will be given.
In order to be successful for this position, you will need to complete an enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) check. This will be arranged by the employer after successfully completing the initial interview.
The Apprenticeship in Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools includes:
Certificate in Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools
◾Child and young person development
◾Safeguarding the welfare of children and young people
◾Communication and professional relationships with children, young people and adults
◾Equality, diversity and inclusion in work with children and young people
◾Help improve own and team practice in schools
◾Maintain and support relationships with children and young people
◾Support children and young people’s health and safety
◾Support children and young people’s positive behaviour
◾Support learning activities
Teaching Assistant Apprentice x2
Teaching Assistant Apprentice - within the Music Department
School Sports Apprentice
School Sports Apprentice