Groundworks Apprentice's x2
Published: May 09, 2019
A well established company based in Hayle, Cornwall are looking to employ two Ground-workers to join their experienced, busy team. The employer is looking for anyone based in the St Austell area and downwards due to travel time.
The Apprentice’s Role
This company provides professional training and high quality work for new residential builds. The ideal candidate will have some knowledge of the construction environment, ideally within Groundworks but its not essential. Working within the construction site environment, as a Groundworker. Performing duties such as Placing internal drainage and connecting external drainage. Digging and pouring Strip footings, Landing Beam and block floors, forming external steps, laying slabs and brick paviors, Foul and storm drainage including manholes varying in size from concrete.
Working Hours: Working hours will vary depending on location of site but generally 0800 – 1700.
Wages: £156.00 per week. Any additional hours worked over 40 hours per week will be paid at the National Minimum Wage depending on age.
Holiday: 28 days holiday entitlement (including bank holidays) will be paid each year, during the course of your apprenticeship.
Contact Details: If you have any queries please contact us on either this email address firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 01752 332442.
JB Andrew Ltd has over 20 years experience providing groundworks contracting and building contracting services throughout Cornwall and the South West.
JB Andrew Ltd is a ground works and construction company based in South West Cornwall. Owner, Jake Andrew traded as a sole trader for an initial 3 years until 2017, when JB Andrew Ltd was formed. From our offices in Hayle we are centrally placed to cover Cornwall and have completed several projects for construction companys together with many private Clients. JB Andrew Ltd is still working for the same clients as they did when they were a sole trader 3 years earlier.
On completion of your level 2 apprenticeship with the company, the right candidate may have the opportunity to progress within the company.
You will need to be able to cope with the physical demands of the role. Good communication is required to work well within a small friendly team. You must always be on time and prompt with the work you carry out.
Someone looking to build a fantastic career within the Construction industry. Hard working, willing to work outside in all weathers.
Qualifications desired for this role include GCSE's grades A* – E in Maths and English, or equivalent qualifications.
The Apprenticeship Framework in Groundworks consists of:
• Level 2 NVQ Diploma In Construction Operations and Civil Engineering Services – Construction Operations
• Level 2 Diploma in Construction Operation – General Construction
• Functional Skills in Maths and English (Level 1)
• Construction Skills Health, Safety and Environment test – CSCS Test
• Conforming to general health, safety and welfare in the workplace
• Conforming to productive working practices in the workplace
• Laying modular pavement in the workplace
• Setting out secondary dimensional work control in the workplace
• Laying kerbs and channels in the workplace.
• Establishing work area protection and safety in the workplace
• Segregating the area for highways works in the workplace
• Preparing and mixing concrete and mortars in the workplace
• Erecting and dismantling access / working platforms in the workplace
• Placing and compacting concrete in the workplace
• Installing street ironwork in the workplace
• Preparing and operating forward tipping dumpers to receive transport and discharge materials in the workplace
• Preparing and operating ride-on rollers to compact materials in the workplace
• Preparing for and arranging and securing plant or machinery for transportation in the workplace
• Preparing to and directing and guiding the movement of vehicles, plant or machinery in the workplace
• Slinging and hand signalling the movement of suspended loads in the workplace
• Preparing and operating powered units, tools or pedestrian plant, machinery or equipment in the workplace
• Moving, handling and storing resources in the workplace
• Providing temporary excavation support in the workplace
• Reinstating excavation and highway surfaces in the workplace
• Reinstating ground condition in the workplace.
I just wanted to say the biggest thank you to Vanessa, my trainer. You have made my journey so much easier, I don’t know what I would have done without you. You have been amazing and helped me to achieve my qualification. You’ve guided me through every step of the way, I really appreciate it, Vanessa, you have been my rock.
I always struggled in school as I wasn’t very academic, so knew learning on the job would be a better option for me. I would find it difficult to get up for 9am but now I wake up and look forward to my day. I wanted to try a hair apprenticeship as I’ve always been interested in hairdressing, and by the end of the first week, I already loved it!
I have developed a range of new skills through work including the technical, industry skills required for the job, to personal development such as ensuring I am always on time. The biggest change since leaving school is adjusting to the independence you gain from earning a salary. My advice to anyone thinking of doing an apprenticeship would be find what you like doing, and go for it!
Since starting the apprenticeship, I’ve become far more confident. In a classroom, you only interact with your classmates, but through working you develop your people skills as you interact with customers on a daily basis. At school, you are closely monitored and parented, however I am now more independent and feel grown up
The most important thing I’ve learnt since leaving school is that there are other routes to success than just academia. I failed my GCSEs, as I never suited the school environment. Now though, I’m really enjoying my apprenticeship as I’ve discovered I learn more through hands-on practice.
I would just like to thank you and your team for all the amazing work they do, you have provided me with the most invaluable experience which has helped to pave the way of my future. The work you do for young people is incredible!